Thursday, January 05, 2006

Sometimes I just have to giggle.

Let me tell you about my birthday.
We've had a gift certificate to Cambria Pines Lodge for a long time. We were saving it for just the right time. We decided my birthday would be the perfect time to use it -- hubby and son were both off from school, which rarely happens on my birthday.

I made reservations and a plan. We would wake early, wander into town for breakfast, then go up the coast, do some exploring, play in the indoor pool, have a nice dinner, then meet up with my parents for dessert. They would then take the goob home with them, leaving hubby and I to spend the night. I was so proud for having a plan.

Of course, that was irrelevant. A huge storm hit Cambria before we could leave home. Over a hundred trees toppled, crushing cars and homes, and a massive power outage ensued. The lodge trip was not to be. They have now been without power for several days.

So we decided to stay home. I woke up early. Hubby decided to sleep in. By the time he awoke 2 1/2 hours later, I was a hungry bear storming around in the kitchen looking for something to make the goob and myself for breakfast.

We did make it downtown for lunch, though and it was very nice. Then the boys went home to make me the most delectable lemon bars while I wandered around town.

That afternoon, hubby went on his daily skate. He stopped to buy me a long stemmed rose and a bottle of wine. Unfortunately, he crashed on the way home, so he returned with a short-stemmed rose and a plastic grocery sack dripping with red wine.

We strained the last 4 ounces of wine through a coffee filter and had a toast. Then we decided to fully enjoy the rest of the bottle of wine even if we couldn't drink it, so we started at the driveway and followed the trail of wine down the sidewalk, around the corner, and to the scene of the accident, laughing our fool heads off all the way.

I decided it would be a good night to just stay safely at home. Hubby got me a burrito and I climbed in bed and watched lame tv for two entire hours.

All in all, it was a damn fine day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wine and roses. Wow. You are blessed :)

6:22 PM  
Blogger Somebody's Mom said...

Wine, roses and laughter, even better!

9:23 AM  
Blogger cathy walker said...

I like your Blog..nice interesting
writing... especially the story about your old friend ..in her 90's ..wow , and that house you're gonna smoke with the sage??? gee.. a ghost maybe? please visit me too..at the
"synchronicity and soup" Blog
I'm a painter and I write.. a little

and keep writing..you're good !

regards catherine walker

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home