Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Cheers to my friend Violet!

Today is Violet's 98th birthday. She lived across the street until a few months ago. Now she lives with her daughter about an hour away. My mom and I drove up yesterday to take her to lunch. I can't imagine all the changes she has seen since 1908.

Vi is hilarious. She told us stories about her youth.

Once when she was 8 she decided to go into town. So she took the sled her dad made her (he was a blacksmith) and hooked it up to a calf. The calf was so excited to be doing something, it ran back and forth across the road, and she hung on for dear life. It finally dumped her off after the first good hill and took off with her sled. She had to chase it down and wrestle it home.

She rode motorcycles when she was a teenager in the early 1920s. She liked to hang out and race with the boys. I can picture it.

She was married three times ("the middle one I don't like to think about") and had one child. She could do anything. When we cleaned out her house after she moved, there was everything you need for every kind of craft, needlework, and handwork imaginable. It was all organized and labeled and there were instructions and ideas in binders.

In her 70s she took painting classes at the art store. I have several of her paintings in my house.

Vi has not let life pass her by. She is an inspiration. She laughs when I tell her that. I think the laughter has a lot to do with her longevity.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughter, ah! I totally believe that too. When there are lapses of not very much laughter I can FEEL the draining of life.
Sometimes it's just time to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or a Bill Cosby stand-up show, he he.
What a neat friend, Vi. And how cool that you and your mom could visit her together. That had be precious :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Sandy's Space said...

What a beautiful note and a wonderful experience to know and talk to your friend VI. May we all live our lives as vicariously as she has! Thanks for your note on my photo, if you get a chance to read my blog please do it is about ageing.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home