Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Get away from me with that fork.

I have realized that I'm a little overwhelmed with life right now. Besides last week's events, I'm just swamped. I'm trying to keep a few clients happy, create a few new non-profit websites, be the PTA treasurer, volunteer with a new group trying to revamp the school district's food and nutrition policies, take care of my neighbor's property for her, volunteer at the school, plan for a conference I'm presenting at, etc., etc., etc.

I am exhausted. I was really sick all weekend and now I'm even more behind. I need to step away from a few volunteer gigs. They have taken over. They were supposed to supplement my life, not replace it. Now I'm not baking bread, I'm not working in the garden, I haven't been to the gym, our house is a wreck, etc. Time to reclaim some me and restore order.

Trying to explain to the goob why I wanted to slow down on the volunteer stuff, I said, "It's like if you're at a restaurant with a bunch of people and you have a piece of cake. And everybody asks for a little bite, and you say okay because it's just a little bite. Pretty soon the whole thing's gone, you're left with a bill to pay, an empty plate, and the realization that you didn't even get one bite of the cake because everybody took bigger bites than they said they would." He knew what I meant. He got it. And this afternoon he offered to take me downtown for a cookie, his treat. I love that little man. We went with friends. I had chocolate chip.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandy's Space said...

Oh my life for a chocolate chip cookie!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Somebody's Mom said...

I still smile thinking about it.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this analogy - may have to borrow it sometime. I'll let you know if I get a cookie out of it :)

I'm behind on the PTO newsletter again. Dangit.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home