Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Perhaps I am insane

I spent all day Saturday hosting and attending the annual "retreat" meeting for the giant music festival we help put on. We will start meeting monthly soon, then weekly. Sunday I spent four hours in a PTA budget meeting. Yesterday I did PTA bookkeeping and miscellaneous phone calls. Today I will work in the classroom. Tomorrow I will be at the school helping with the vision testing. The next day I will be there helping with the Vermont lesson.

If I am going to work this much, I should get a dang job. One where I get money and free coffee.

Alas, I am a volunteer at heart. I like doing nice things. And I do feel that those of us who can volunteer should. There are many moms out there working really hard to put food on the table who would love to spend a day with the kids, seeing what's happening in the classroom, providing a little extra help here and there. I can do it. I can contribute to the school, not just for my son, but for all the kids. So I do. And it's fun, even on the days when I'm dragging my feet to get there. I feel good when I leave.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The coffee's not always fresh and the money is just money. What you are doing, giving, is so incredibly worthwhile.
My small contribution as a working mom is writing the PTO newsletter, and running one or two fundraisers each year. But I think there are lots of parents ('working-for-money' and not) who can do more than they do.
I hear how busy you are and think, man, that must be a big school!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Somebody's Mom said...

Stephanie, those are NOT small contributions, they are awesome contributions. I wish we had more involved parents like you.

Our school is a neighborhood school of about 300 students, but there's much to do and few to do it. Many are hard-working families and large families with babies to watch at home. Some of the parents work several jobs just to live here. The price of paradise.

Also, our school is almost 20% "English Learners" meaning many of the parents don't speak English and don't feel comfortable getting involved, sadly. We are going to work on our communication efforts.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home